THE PBA has begun the process of talking to players who were included as part of the 15-man lineup of Gilas Pilipinas for the coming Southeast Asian Games.
Commissioner Willie Marcial will inform the players one by one about their inclusion and see if they’re available for the May 12-23 biennial meet in Hanoi pending the March 12 deadline for the submission of entry by names before the host country.
Marcial was given the SEA Games lineup by Gilas coach Chot Reyes shortly after TNT’s 127-107 victory over Terrafirma in the PBA Governors Cup on Wednesday.
“Nag-meeting kami ngayon . Nagbigay siya (Reyes) ng mga pangalan. Kailangan makausap ko muna yung mga (Board of) governors, at makausap ko agad yung mga players kung ok sila doon sa schedule,” said the PBA chief.
By estimate, Marcial said the men’s team could start practicing for the meet by April.
“Para kung hindi sila (players) libre, may commitment sila, mapapalitan agad namin,” the commissioner said.
Marcial said the Board of Governors are already amenable of lending their players, leaving the decision now on the hands of those named to the team.
“Ang concern natin yung mga players. Hindi natin alam, baka mamaya dun sa time na yun may commitment sila or sabihin nila ‘Com gusto kong mag-pahinga or Com, meron akong injury,'” said the commissioner.
The list stemmed from the original 30 names Reyes submitted to Marcial last week as part of the Gilas training pool.